Poor Man's CIA -- Updated 2018/5/18
:: Macro-Analysis and Research ::
Abstracts and Country Cloche.
to Snerx -- Contact us on our official Discord
• CIA World Factbook
- Constantly updated abstracts of every nation on the planet.
version of the site.
of the entire factbook archive.
Historical Geopolitical Research and Overviews.
• Our World in Data
- Research and data visualization.
• World Bank Open Data
- Free and open access to global development data.
World Bank's search page
for country overviews.
The World Bank's databases
World development indicators
International debt statistics
• Transparency International
- Corruption perceptions index for 2017.
• Data USA
- Research and data visualization of America.
• Data Africa
- Research and data visualization of Africa.
- Factbook of economic, environmental, and social statistics.
Historical Economic Research and Overviews.
• Observatory of Economic Complexity
- Data visualization of international trade.
OEC's Economic Complexity Rankings
OEC's Atlas of Economic Complexity
, research on ECI by country.
• Global Competitiveness Reports - 08
, & 17
- Breakdown of economic inidicators, markets, and forecasts.
- Transnational land deals and visual map
• Global Financial Data Finaeon
- Research and deep-data analysis web-end.
GFD's global history of currencies
- Data visualization for stocks, ETFs, and forex.
• US Debt Clock
- Visualization of all US debt.
• World Debt Clock
- Visualization of all world debt.
- Data visualization for cryptocurrencies similar to FinVis.
• US military spending and deployment
• Global Militarization Index
• Total counts of military personnel
• Total counts of military equipment
• US military base distribution
• Notes on individual US bases
• West Point's atlas' of war
- Maps of major invasions and battles.
• List of countries and dependencies by number of police officers
• Drone Survival Guide
- List of military aerial drones globally deployed.
• Simple visualization for the number of nukes
each country has.
• List of military branches by country
- Realtime 3D map of objects in orbit around Earth.
• Optimized Listening
- Visualization and forecasting of news and social media.
• Awesome OSINT
- Curated list of open-source intelligence tools and reesources.
- Research on the global distribution of cyberattacks.
:: Overview of The World ::
Who runs the planet
based on family political and economic ties.
How the wealth of Earth
is distributed (fiat currency, hard assets, stocks, etc.).
How the wealth of the USA
How stock exchanges
are distributed on Earth.
Who the 200 wealthiest individuals
of Earth are.
How the 50 most wealthy individuals
of Earth are distributed.
Democratic rankings of countries
by The Economist 2006-2017.
Educational ranking of countries
by PISA in 2015.
World population growth
(humanity is a bubble).
from 1950 to 2013 and 2050 projected by The Economist.
The Catholic church is the biggest financial power, wealth accumulator, and property
owner in existence, with more wealth than any other Government, Institution, or Bank
in the world. If they paid taxes last year, they could have funded the end for world
hunger seven times over.
Prescription drugs now kill more people in the US than heroin and cocaine combined.
Livestock uses 30% of the Earth's entire land surface and agriculture is 18% of GHG.
:: Miscellaneous Tools and Other Stuff ::
Open Research Central
- Open research publishing platform.
- Webapp for auto-transcribing audio docs and interviews.
- Advanced data mining software for graphing and link analysis.
- Webpage archiving service.
Bitcoin's transaction and store-of-value superiority
- Best performing currency of 2013, 2015, 2016, and 2017.
:: Most Influential Living Minds ::
Ranking these is difficult and the metric used (effect on institutions) is not an
all-encompassing measurement of heavy productive minds. All in this list have had
an incredibly enormous effect on the world of academia or think tanks, or
intellectual organizations limited by IQ, etcetera. These are all objectively
large-minded people with large spheres of effect, but the list is nowhere near
exhaustive. The list was started in 2016 and names are crossed out as people die.
A: Ai Weiwei
, Amartya Sen
, Andrew Wiles
B: Brian Greene
C: Craig Venter
D: Daniel Dennett
, David Chalmers
, Demetrios Christodoulou
E: Edward Witten
, Elias Corey
, Elon Musk
F: Freeman Dyson
G: George Church
, Grigori Perelman
J: Jurgen Habermas
K: Kenneth Thompson
L: Larry Page
, Leonard Susskind
M: Markus Gabriel
, Max Tegmark
, Michio Kaku
, Miguel Alcubierre
, Moxie Marlinspike
N: Nick Bostrom
, Noam Chomsky
P: Peter Higgs
, Peter Ludlow
, Peter Sloterdijk
R: Richard Hamilton
, Richard Stallman
S: Saul Kripke
, Slavoj Zizek
, Stephan Wolfram
T: Terence Tao
, Thomas Nagel
On The Fence:
(hundreds of long-form interviews with academics)
(subject of academic study; greatest influence on the contemporary art world)
(the subject of much study; innovator in the gaming industry)
(because you were all upset that Gaben made the list)
:: Culturally Predictive and Proscriptive Texts ::
Well-curated list of cypherpunk/crypto-anarchist
research and work.
Ideologically projective texts.
• Harrison Bergeron
by Kurt Vonnegut.
• The Right to Read
by Richard Stallman.
• Cypherpunk Manifesto
by Eric Hughes.
• The Crypto Anarchist Manifesto
by Timothy May.
• Crypto Anarchy, Cyberstates, and Pirate Utopias
by Peter Ludlow.
• What Is Mimetic Theory?
by Sherwood Belangia.
• The Butterfly War
by CultState details the use of cyber phrenology.
• Industrial Society And Its Future
by Theodore Kaczynski.
• Rise of the Robots
by Martin Ford.
• The Second Machine Age
by Erik Brynjolfsson and Andrew McAfee.
• Clash of Civilizations
by Samuel Huntington (culture politics post-cold war).
• The Prospect of Immortality
by Robert Ettinger, the inventor of cryonics.
• The Theory of Interstellar Trade
by Paul Krugman (FTL differential economics).
Critiques on both sides.
• Richard Stallman’s Disjoined Realism And Frozen Belief System
• The Concerns of a Surveillance State Within a Market Economy
• Worse Than Useless
, a short lecture by Andreas Antonopolous.
• Money As A System Of Control
, a short lecture by Andreas Antonopolous.
• Separation of Money and State
, a response by Andreas Antonopolous.
• Crypto-Anarchy lecture
) by Cody Wilson.
:: Transhumanist/Futurist/Automation Stuff ::
The standard frameworks
for projections of technologies and society into the future.
The Artilect War
, a research paper on future technologies that sparked much debate.
The 10,000 genes
directly correlated to cognitive growth, and why we should use them.
The legal process is starting to be fully automated (and for free) with Lawbots
Automated home farming, spawning a new wave of Farmbots
Potential job loses
due to automation of industries in the near (50 year) future.
Data storage capacities growing exponentially with genetic storage
Example of a potential cognitive enhancing neurotrophic factor
There have been a lot of articles like this
recently, talking about the need for UBI
Our space history
on an interactive timeline, the Russians were first to most of it.
Things you can do with your brand new google eyes
is a cybernetic device that gives you polar sensory perception.
Babelfish-esk universal portable translators
We need not fear the machines, rather we ought to fear the humans who control them.
The perils of VR are not of potential addiction, but of potential insecurity